Our Workshop I – for training potential mentors (& enlightening all others that are interested)
Think of it as “basic training”. At the end of this class you will:
- See how learning to assist others raises the level of your own relationships
- Have tools for marital “maintenance” rather than just “tune ups & repairs”
- Know if/when you are ready to mentor
- Have a network of “peer mentors”
- Be able to go online to take a “certification” test
The format will be scripturally led in a round table discussion format with a facilitator.
We will use the text: The Complete Guide to Marriage Mentoring by Drs Les & Leslie Parrott, codirectors for the Center for Relationship Development at Seattle Pacific University.
We will also be using the seperate MEN workbook and WOMEN workbook.
Along w/ the class & workbook, we encourage note taking to help you develop your own mentoring style as a couple. We also encourage you to bring for “show and tell” very directly relevant & scripturally sound books, stories, and other resources to help other attendees develop perspective & insight.
Here’s the general outline for our introductory class – the training of mentor couples.
- Overview of what mentoring is and is not
- Who can do this, what does it take
- Common pitfalls
- Boomerang effect
Week 3 – 6
- Essential skills for all types of mentoring
- Building rapport / walk in their shoes / work as a team / agree on outcomes / ask good questions / listen aggressively / any question is possible / tell your stories / pray together / stay sharp / be yourself
Week 7 – 8
- Finding your niche in the triad
- The Triad: Preparing ( new couples ), Maximizing ( established couples ), Repairing ( challenged couples ).
- Referring to: another couple who may click or have more in common, the pastor to help identify sin issues that are a stumbling block, a counselor for immediate crisis intervention.
Wrap up week(s):
- Discussion of “tools”: e.g.: an overview of how one chooses relevant books, websites, authors, radio programs, family outings, cultural events, etc.
- Sign up applications for the mentoring coordination pastors file
- Discussion & arraingement of mentoring pier support
A meal gather concludes Workshop I. Time/Location to be announced.
We ask that you go to http://www.marriagementorsite.com/downloads/MM-assessment.php
and take the quick assessment to make sure you have some basic grasp of the eternal importance of mentoring marriages.