This week I heard someone note how their criteria for a mate was ‘money’. Another comment was ‘I should divorce, what do I need (him/her) for ?’
- Really? These folks might want to dwell on some Ecclesiastes wisdom. Even the Buddhist background from which they come can appreciate such wise ponderings from Solomon.
While marriages isn’t always what its ‘quacked up to be’, don’t ‘duck your responsibilities’.
What do you look for in a partner. A life ministry supporter? If you are seeking ‘what will that person add to me’ you may be better to consider ‘how can we add to each others service for the Kingdom’. Christ brought a gift of sacrifice to his bride (us, the church body). Thus, a gift of sacrifice to your bride as bridegroom, a spirit of acceptance as bride.
My cousin is no longer the lil gal that graced my folks wedding in 1953.
Lookin good cousin Sal.
Believe everything you hear and most of what you see (or not).
Fake news is all the rage. But what about ‘gossip’, what about ‘first go to the person…’ ?
What effect does it have on your marriage when you introduce ‘well so `n so says that …’ or ‘you know what ____ thinks ?’ I usually say ‘I’m less interested in ‘what they think’ and more interested in if I start and end with The Word when I act. Everything else will have to take care of itself.
Yes, the photo is a mock up, a fake.
A great church friend says: “Be careful what you tell others about your husband (wife), it may the the only picture others have to understand who your spouse is.” My paraphrase is, every time you tell me about another person and the content of what you tell me, from this I know how you represent me to others.
Come share whats in ‘your toolbox’.
We meet at members homes and their churches each week during the school year and 1x/month during the summer.
2 hr & 15 min sessions go like this: Each segment is optional and you are free to come/go as you are able.
- 6:15-6:30 Snacks to pass.
- Hosts do not bring anything. Others, when you confirm attendance specify ‘healthy snack/ drink/ unhealthy snack/ plates, naps, cups’ so others can pick something else.
- 6:30 – 7:15 Open presentations.
- Optional participation – In the round share the resource/ book/ tip you have. Be as creative as you’d like. Photos from ‘way back when’ ?, a couple in need that we can help, an activity, place or group you’ve found that would support marital efforts.
- Also will include ‘special invited guests’ – who would you like to nominate ?
- 7:30 – 8:30 Curriculum.
Tuesday evenings starting 2/21.
Further info: http://www.focusonthefamily.com/marriage/strengthening-your-marriage/mentoring-101/marriage-mentoring
What Is a Marriage Mentor?
“What I need is someone to talk to who has walked down the path ….” … offer the distance and objectivity that a mentor gives. A mentor is not:
- a mother or father.
- a friend.
- “on call” for every little crisis.
- a know-it-all.
- committed long-term.
Everyone reading this will face God one day. Scriptural reality will be that sin requires repentance after requesting forgiveness. Its naive if you think this doesn’t apply to you. It applies to me, it applies to everyone. But you deal with self, God deals with others (truth alert: we will be judged by the standard we judge.)
Note I’ve included scripture so you can take God’s word for it. So yes, repentance actually requires a turning.
Are you following God’s plan after you’ve seen how sin affects your life, more importantly the lives of others about you, and MOST importantly your submission and admiration to the Lordship of Christ in your life ? How do you facilitate ‘change’ for troublesome behaviors ?
Get in on the conversations on Facebook:
Eastman Tabernacle – Courtney Richards
“The Art of Mentoring: Transforming Lives Through Personal Relationships”
||“Mentoring: How to Invest Your Life in Others”
||“Jesus and Paul: How Did They Do It?”
||“Male and Female Differences in the Mentoring Process – Part 1”
||“Male and Female Differences in the Mentoring Process – Part 2”
||“Seven Practical Steps in Mentoring Individuals and Groups”
Pastor was right. There are many books in the book store – many that seem to have ‘Christian’ titles and themes. Watch out ! Not all writers have the anointing of God on their pen.
Look at who the publisher is. Look at who has the back page endorsements – can you trust the sources ? And most of all, ‘test’ the words, as you would any thoughts, against what you know to be Gods word. If you don’t know Gods word well enough to do that – put down the book and spend another 5 yrs studying scripture.
Here’s my review I just posted on Amazon about a book claiming that the Bible does not have a good perspective on marriage and sex and is full of secret contradictions … really ? In fact, Christ is pictured as the bridegroom of the church. Further, an engagement is seen as a very sacred promise, a time during which the bride prepares for her household and the groom prepares the place of abode. There exists many such beautiful metaphorical illustrations.
- The writer seems to feel the audience is mostly uninformed in greater biblical study. This seemingly is sadly taken advantage of. Many excellent scriptural texts have been excluded and much of the Hebrew scriptures are taken out of context. Gods Word is a work of artistic perfection, and like any other art work, one has a greater appreciation for the end product if the entire work and process is examined. Some of scripture is poetry, some prophecy, some proverbs, some parable, some simply historical narrative, some law that has now been fulfilled in Christ, some epistle. Any given ‘scriptural sentence’ is bound to be misunderstood if the entire work is not taken as a whole. Imagine seeing a few random lines in a play and extrapolating from there. There is so much more to Gods depth than the conclusions drawn therein. Blessings http://MentoringMarriages.com
“Mom and dad were Christians. They loved Christ. They wanted so badly to show their love for Christ that they loved one another. It’s natural what they do. For them to be able to be a witness in life, also in death, that’s cool. Really cool.”
When he passed, the clock on the walls battery stopped at the exact same time…
Just saw a post re: ‘Be yourself’. Nice bumper sticker or t-shirt, but how often do we quote ‘the world’ who has no infinite wisdom when we could quote Christ whom has it all ?
When believers default to ‘sayings’, colloquialisms and euphemisms, so much gets lost. The deliverer is thinking one thing, the hearer another.
What if our ‘sayings’ where the ‘boring scripture quotes’ my grandmother always spoke in ?
I really miss hearing her speak only wisdom – perhaps why she was named ‘Pearl’.
Investing in property ?
Like Chip & Joanna Gaines of Fixer Upper, I recommend you seek wise counsel ‘and all these things shall be added unto you’ says Biblical scripture.
In my business, when there is more that 1 person as part of the buyer / seller / ownership package, I take just as seriously the ‘non-financial aspects’ of the transaction. A move is a top stress item per every counseling material you read and study. Since its part of my business, I’ve studied family counseling materials for decades, taken counseling workshops (outside of my profession) and consumed countless hours of programming relating to, well, relating.
I think these kids have it right in the interview link. When the purpose is shared jointly and above either of you, the ‘team’ approach brings you together, not in competition with each other.