Steps – I’ll let your devotional time be looking up the scriptures. Maybe you’ll add some steps:
- Pray –
- The decision must not offend but be in alignment with scripture. e.g.: no, you should not steal.
- Wise counsel of many – this is peer mentoring from those as close or closer to God than you. Your golf buddies may not qualify.
- Timing – God may support your ‘instinct’, but not now. e.g.: You want to go into ministry full time but the kids are in college and you have no money in the bank. Better keep your day job for now.
- ‘Instinct’? – For the believer, there is no such thing as ‘gut feeling’. You’ve prayed, read the Word faithfully, sought counsel, taken inventory of timing, and now find quiet moments to Listen to the Leading of The HOLY SPIRIT. Communication is 2 way, not giving your to-do list to God, but listening. Does a certain outcome make sense to you ? That’s why you wait & listen for peace that only the Holy Spirit provides.
- Fast – at a minimum fast 24 hrs, from sundown today until sundown tomorrow.
- Wait upon the Lord – give a minimum of 7 days for major decisions. Let there be time for emotion to fade out of the picture – it should be the ‘caboose’, not the engine.
- Act with faith.
ps. How many guys in that photo….12? 13?
How not to make decisions:
- At a time of emotion or gut reaction. “Emotions are the caboose on the decision train”.
- Because ‘it just feels right’. .. see above.
- Because a fortune cookies said its so – apply this to any random or collection of random sayings. This would include any philosopher. Have you noticed that they have changing advice depending on what time of their life they wrote it ? Think how one world religion in a single ‘holy book’ first says ‘Christians should be tolerated’…later it says they should be treated with aggression…later, they should be killed. Contrast this to Christian scriptures written by 40 some authors over 1500 some years yet all with a theme that is consistent from beginning to end.
- Because ‘all my friends think its right’. Did you know the most powerful friendship builder is when 2 or more agree AGAINST something or someone ? Further, many false friends won’t risk the friendship but favor being a ‘yes (wo)man’ to keep the relationship…for self purposes of course. Think about these friends motivation – it should be to disciple from a consistent scriptural world view.